Christian Service Award Eligibility and Application Process
Application Deadline: October 15th
The Christian Service Awards are $8,000 scholarships given to students who:
- Are practicing Catholics registered within the Diocese of Phoenix;
- Exemplify Christ-centered behavior through volunteer service to parish, school, and community;
- Plan to attend a Catholic high school within the Diocese of Phoenix;
- Are in 8th grade at the time of application; and
- Have volunteered 100+ hours to parish, school and community between August 15 of 6th grade year and August 15 of 8th grade year.
Only online applications are accepted. Apply online starting August 15th and submit completed applications no later than October 15th.
There are four steps to complete the Christian Service Award application for submission:
- Fill out the online application,
- Upload a completed volunteer service record:
- Request and receive three recommendations (to be completed online by your references); and,
- Write an essay on the specified topic.
Application Review Process
All submitted applications will be reviewed in October. All applicants will receive notice in November as to whether or not they will receive an interview conducted by members of the Christian Service Awards committee, based on the pre-screening process.
- Not all applicants will qualify for an interview and therefore will not advance and/or qualify for an award.
- Applicants who do pass the pre-screening process will receive an interview which will be scheduled for an assigned time on a Saturday in early December. The assigned interview time cannot be changed.
- Award recipients are selected by the committee after careful and considerable evaluation of each interview and all other components of the application.
- Interviewed applicants will be notified of their award status no later than January 31st.
An awards reception, hosted by Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted honoring the Christian Service Awards recipients, will be held in early March. Invitations will be mailed to award recipients and their families, principals, pastors and reference writers.
Completed applications, including all required documents (Service Record, 3 Recommendation Forms, and Essay) must be submitted ONLINE no later than October 15th. Do not submit any non-required documents with your application. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted. There are no extensions or exceptions.
Begin tracking your volunteer service hours as soon as possible, but not before August 15th of your 6th grade year. You may use this Service Record to keep track of your dates and times of service.
It is recommended to have service hours in all three categories: 1) Service to Parish, 2) Service to School, and 3) Service to Community.