Bishop's Crozier Award
for Lifetime Leadership & Service
Presented by Blue Cross® Blue Shield® of Arizona*
Honorees are presented with a hand-cut crystal replica of the Bishop’s crosier designed, created, and imported from Waterford Crystal of Ireland. It is an extraordinarily stunning artistic piece that is meant to reflect the quality, value, and deep beauty of the achievements it represents.
2017 Recipients: Dorothy and John Shea
- Dorothy Babbitt Shea grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona, where the Babbitt name is well known--her cousin Bruce is the U.S. secretary of the interior.
- Dorothy served as chairwoman of the Education Foundation's strategic planning committee.
- She currently serves on the school board at her parish, St. Philip the Apostle in Pasadena.
- President and chairman of the board of the J. F. Shea Company, Inc., an outgrowth of a business his grandfather began in 1887 in Portland, Oregon.
- The founder’s family now, in its fourth generation of leadership, has led the company through some of the largest and challenging projects the country has known- the Hoover Dam, the Golden Gate Bridge, to name a few.
- John Shea was one of five people in the Los Angeles Archdiocese to whom Cardinal Roger M. Mahony presented the prestigious Cardinal's Award in 1996.
The John and Dorothy Shea Foundation provided funds to build kindergartens in 28 archdiocesan schools in low-income neighborhoods and computer-lab classrooms in 26 of those schools.
Today, Mr. and Mrs. Shea enjoy time with their family, golfing, bridge and travel, and they appreciate those visits to the Catholic schools that receive their grants.
Recipients are chosen by the growing cohort of past Bishop’s Crozier Lifetime Leadership & Service Award recipients and the Nominating and Governance Committee of the CCF Board. Recipients are selected for their notable service to the Catholic charitable, educational and/or evangelical work. The award recognizes specific outstanding initiatives as well as bodies of work and lifetime achievement and is presented annually at the Catholic Community Foundation’s Crozier Gala, in the Diocese of Phoenix.
The honoree or couple is selected based on distinguished service and support of the Catholic community in the Diocese of Phoenix and beyond. The selection committee considers accomplishments, achievements and contributions to qualify this person to receive the Crozier Lifetime Leadership & Service Award based on the results of his or her efforts at the national, diocesan, parish, school and community level. Other at-large services, board memberships, offices held and awards given are also be considered in the CCF’s successful candidate recipient.
* An independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association